Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Tree Topper

Hubby and I returned from our weekend away rejuvenated and refreshed.  It was so nice to get away together and even nicer that it happened to fall right around our eighth anniversary.  We did, however, miss the kids so much that we came home early on the last day.  Baby girl did great, I was a bit worried having never been away from her.  The boys had a blast as well, Grandma B spoiles them and even though I stocked the fridge with all their favorite fruits and veggies, her donuts and cupcakes won out.  That's ok, what are grandparents for if not to spoil their grandkids. I did remind her though, that she wasn't able to send them home after sugaring them up, she paused for only a brief second and the grandma in her won out! (My parents do the same darn thing!).

          So Thanksgiving is passed and it's on to Christmas!  Yay!! My favorite time of year. Sure it's crazy and and every store you go into from here to New Years will be packed, but there's so much more to it.  I was thinking about that tonight as we decorated with the kids.  My boys really got into the tree decorating this year, even to the point of being upset when all the ornaments were on!  The night went from Christmas decorating to an all out wrestling match with Daddy, his two boys and baby girl!  I was recording it so I was immune from the attacks, it ended with daddy calling a truce.  If the boys broke it they forfeited all their presents and if Daddy broke it he had to buy them the 3DS they want.  Amazingly we had a pieceful bedtime.
         When The hubby and I got hitched a few years back, his wedding present to me was a few bags FULL of Christmas decorations. I have to admit my barely twenty-one year old, incredibly immature self was a bit disappointed. I had envisioned diamonds for my other fingers. After all, their were nine left.  My disappointment was short lived and I was won over by how cute and Christmassy our very first apartment looked.  If you don't count college dorms ( I use the term 'dorms' loosely) this was our very first place away from our parents and those Christmas decorations helped make our apartment feel like a home.  This was especially hard for me since my family was two states away.  The one thing he didn't buy was a tree topper.  This we were to do together.  It was so special to be picking this out with him. We didn't have a whole lot if money, so we needed something on the cheaper side yet still nice and have meaning.  We found the most beautiful Cross.  Of course the cross Christ was crucified on looked nothing like this one, but we wanted that symbol atop our tree to remind us the real reason we celebrate.  We use Christmas Day to celebrate that tiny babies birth, but so many people leave Him in that manger.  At least until Easter.  We need to remember every day that that baby grew up, walking in the perfect will of His Father; He came to this earth to die for wretched sinners like you and me.  He didn't have to, but He did.  I no longer have to fear death because Jesus is my victory; yes I will die, but I will be immediately made alive in Him.

       I love to see my children's face when they receive gifts, the way they light up is priceless. The only Gift that my children really need is Jesus.  Toys and games are fun for now, but an eternity of hellfire awaits them if they do not have Him. I know, what a terrible thought, but it's the absolute truth.  I pray God gives them the gift of salvation more than I pray for anything else.
  I look forward to this joyous season.  As my babies get older activities such as baking cookies and wrapping presents are much more fun.  It's nice having little hands to help.  We have plans to make all sorts of yummy and fun goodies together, and involve some friends and family in the fun also.
My oldest said to me today ' Mom why is daddy working so hard so we can have presents?  We don't need presents we just need to spend time together '  I replied that he's right and we will be spending a lot of time together.  Quickly he responded ' but two or three presents would still be ok!'  Oh how I love these little monsters!

No comments:

Post a Comment